Friday, July 30, 2010

Work in Progress

Alright, this is pretty much what's already happening so I might as well save myself the trouble and play along with it. I've been using the blog to test out the new game I'm working on, as mentioned in the previous post, and instead of taking it down and re-upping it constantly, I'm just going to leave it up and let all who care to see check out the game in its developing stages. Check back every couple of hours and see if I've accomplished anything, if you like. Maybe I'll even post some updates on how the code is coming. I know, soooo exciting.

Update Log Entry #1, 7/31/2010: OH MY GOD, I HATE TRIG SO HARD RIGHT NOW

Update Log Entry #2, 7/31/2010: Rotational shooting is working. I don't know why, but I'm not gonna touch it.

Update Log Entry #3, 8/1/2010: Well, I basically rewrote the harpoon and little whale classes and all their movement and collision handlers about three times from scratch. I think my current implementation is a keeper, but the whales aren't moving correctly when they get hit. Why do I have the feeling that the solution involves more trig?

Update Log Entry #4, 8/1/2010: Nope! No trig! Turns out I'm just retarded, which is a mixed blessing in this case. Time to graft the Thumb-Man controls onto this game to get the player moving...

Update Log Entry #5, 8/1/2010: Yahoo! WASD controls now functional. Just don't fire a harpoon while you're facing left until I get that ironed out...

Update Log Entry #6, 8/1/2010: Wall collisions, quick-jumps, and level-dropping is all implemented, and I fixed the aiming system! Things are going smooth right now, time to call it a night.

Update Log Entry #7, 8/2/2010: I wasn't looking forward to transferring the game to a 550x530 window (as opposed to 550x1800) but it was surprisingly painless. The only thing that didn't transition so well is -- surprise, surprise -- the rotational aiming. Just need to patch that up, then I'm on to implementing the "bubble" functionality, and then the game is almost done!

nathan

[EDIT: Removed the game. It's now in a later post.]

No comments:

Post a Comment